Why Use Google Analytics?
Google Analytics is a free website tracking product provided by Google that allows you to see how many visitors come to your website, what sources they come from, how long they stay, and how they interact with your website. This insight into web traffic performance enables business owners to understand trends in various aspects of their web traffic over time, such as
- Traffic growth
- Website popularity
- Traffic from search engines
- Any negative changes that require attention
Before getting started, I recommend setting up a Google Gmail email account and utilizing the Google Chrome browser. When you sign into your Gmail account, your other Google accounts will all be recognized immediately, saving you from having to sign in multiple times to facilitate your different types of online projects. This one login will allow you to utilize a number of free Google products for your business, including
- Google business page for Google Maps
- Google+ social network
- Google Analytics
- Google Docs
How to Set Up Google Analytics
1. Go to https://www.google.com/analytics/analytics, and select the green “SIGN UP FOR FREE” button in the top right corner
2. Select “Sign up” under “Start using Google Analytics.”
3. Complete the new account information page and select “Get Tracking ID”
4. Read through and accept the Google Analytics terms of service agreement
5. Ask your webmaster to apply the tracking code snippet before the <head> tag of every page of your website.
This is one very simple setup that is essential to getting the most out of your website. You invested money and time in the setup and design of your website. Tracking how your customers are using it gives you the information you need to make appropriate changes to maximize your site’s performance.
In addition to the free Google Analytics tool, Google also provides education on how to best utilize its services to grow your business.
If you need help with your business’ website design, analytics, or search engine optimization, schedule a free consultation with one of our designers or strategists!